07-09-2015 04:26 PM
Borderline Personality Disorder is a mental illness that is often misunderstood, and burdened with heavy stigma. Quite often people place it in the 'too hard' basket labelling the disorder as impossible to treat. This Topic Tuesday we want to debunk myths just like these.
For this month's session, I'm pleased to announce that will have Sonia Neale, the SANE recipient of the Hocking Fellowship, joining us to talk about BPD. Sonia has a wealth of knowledge, not only from professional expertise and her own research on BPD, but she also brings her own lived experience that informs her approach to work. She is a great example of the knowledge and expertise that exists within lived experiences.
So come along Tuesday 15 September 7-9pm AEST to help us debunk the myths and reveal the facts about BPD.
Click like if you're going to be there!
15-09-2015 11:12 AM
Looking forward to tonight's Topic Tuesday in the Carer's forum with special guest Sonja Neale: BPD - debunking the myths and revealing the facts. Tuesday 15 September between 7-9pm AEST
What an important and relevant conversation. I know that several members on here who are supporting and caring for a loved one with BPD: @Whyohwhy @astrengthinever @PeppiPatty @Leigh @Jacob101 @Kiera80 @3forme @Valda @pjc11 @Viv Feel free to come along and share some of your own valuable wisdom, insights and stories from the carer's and family/friends perspective.
To our other members, those living with with BPD or even if you just have a general interest in this particular area and would like to learn more, you are also most welcome to come along and join in the conversation. A few members who come to mind include - @Shadow @Raven @WombatBoots @Linmerc @Jacques @Appleblossom @catalytic @Crazy_Bug_Lady All welcome!
Hope to *see* you all tonight
15-09-2015 07:00 PM
And warm welcome to our special guest @BlueButterfly50 - Sonia Neale. Thanks so much for joining us tonight to discuss BPD.
People who care for someone with BPD often talk about how their loved one can go from adoring them one minute, and then hating them the next. Can you tell me a bit more about why this happens?
15-09-2015 07:05 PM
15-09-2015 07:08 PM
@BlueButterfly50 Does BPD just happen out of the blue?
15-09-2015 07:12 PM
No, in 91% of cases there is trauma involved, sexual, physical, emotional, witness to violence, especially domestic, emotionalal invalidation, etc. The other 9% there is no REPORtED trauma. This does not there is no trauma, it means trauma has not been identified. Some people do not recognise what they have experienced is trauma. There have no "norm" to compare it with. There is a biological/genetic component, but this is turned on by adverse childhood experiences. It does not come out of the blue, but takes the person a while to recognise what is going on in their lives. The human mind will justify and rationalise that what happened was not a problem, but their lives are full of drugs, alcohol, eating disorders etc.
15-09-2015 07:14 PM
Can BPD exist within the realms of Bipolar Disorder?
15-09-2015 07:18 PM - edited 15-09-2015 07:21 PM
***Response to first question*** This happens as people with BPD have difficulty seeing a person as a cohesive whole. Seen as all "good" or all "bad" depending if the persons needs are being met or not. This is called splitting which occurs in infancy as a psychological defence mechanism. In BPD, the "good" and "bad" remains separated due to biology and social environment.
15-09-2015 07:22 PM
15-09-2015 07:23 PM - edited 15-09-2015 07:24 PM
If you need urgent assistance, see Need help now
For mental health information, guidance and referrals, see the SANE Help Centre
SANE Forums is published by SANE Australia with funding from the Australian Government Department of Health
SANE Australia ABN 92006533606
PO Box 226 South Melbourne 3205 Australia